comm207fall06

a weblog for Pete Ellertsen's students in Communications 207 (editing for publication) at Benedictine University/Springfield. Link here to my faculty page.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

well- written news story

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/09/13/shots-dawson.html

This is a well- written hard news story. It is a story about shots being fired at a college in Canada this afternoon (Wednesday). The story is fairly short, but states the facts that the public would like to know about the situation. Two important quotes I noticed right away are from a student who was in the college when the shots were fired. Michel Boyer said, "I thought this was fake, and it was just an excuse to get out of class," he told CBC Newsworld. "I did run away as soon as I did see that it was real." Boyer also reported, "I'm only 19 and to have flashes of your life and the people that you love going by you, it should not be allowed. It was highly traumatizing." I think that these emotional quotes are important in a story such as this, because they open the eyes of the public to see and somewhat understand the severity of the situation. This hard news story got my attention because it was well-written, and contained only quotes that were to the point, and easy to follow.

Comments:
Thanks for posting, Terah. I do like those quotes, too. They give immediacy. As you said, they're emotional. Also: They're informal, you can "hear" the guy saying them. So they add another voice, a little more variety to the story.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   November 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?